According to the media, the dog that swallowed the pebbles was a 7-year-old Jack Russell named Star. Owner Tracy McCaul said he took him to a veterinary clinic worried that Star wouldn't move and wouldn't get water or food.
A staff member of PDSA, a British veterinarian charity that saw Star, said he was surprised to see an X-ray of Star. The stomach was full of pebbles. Jennifer Jackson, a senior veterinarian at PDSA, explained to the British media Daily Mirror what happened when she saw Star:
"Star's condition was alarming. He couldn't stand and was extremely dehydrated. When we examined, we felt something was in Star's stomach. When I saw the X-ray, I was really surprised at the number of pebbles that Star swallowed. "
After the surgery, Star reportedly showed a rapid recovery. Jackson states:
"If a large number of sharp stones passed through the intestines, the stones could damage and puncture the intestines, causing fatal peritonitis. We performed emergency surgery and removed the stones. Thankfully. Star is completely cured. "
The owner, Tracy McCaul, said he had removed all the pebbles from the garden to prevent Star from eating them again.